Spent a bomb on various energy boosting supplements, drinks, powders and nutrition bars, only to face disappointment? There is little evidence to prove that these are effective; and to top it all, there could be some side effects too.
We, at FitNut, have put together tried and tested tips to help you stay active throughout the day:
- Avoid late-night meals– Calorie-packed meals just before bedtime play a big part in you not being active the next day. A substantial gap between your last meal and sleep is important to avoid the food-induced hangover and wake up fresh.
- Don’t skip breakfast, or any other meal– “Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a pauper.” Remember this famous saying we all heard as children? Well, it’s time to adhere to it. Don’t skip any meal, especially breakfast. After hours of sleeping, your body needs proper nutrition to kickstart metabolism and get sustained energy.
- Eat every 4 to 5 hours– Eating small meals throughout the day provides your body with constant fuel to stay active. Pair up a complex carbohydrate with protein or a healthy fat for sustained energy levels. Eat fruits and veggies to give your body the essential vitamins and minerals.
- Eat more whole Grains and less sugar– Did you know your sweet tooth is also one of the reasons why you’re not active. Eating sweet food items causes a spike in blood sugar, giving you an initial burst of energy. Following that there is a rapid drop in blood sugar, resulting in you feeling wiped out. Whole grains on the other hand provide a slow and steady release of energy, leaving you feeling fresh and active all day long.
- Stay hydrated– Water is an essential fluid to keep you active throughout the day. Even slight dehydration can leave you feeling sluggish. It is particularly important to boost energy after exercise because this is when your body is craving fluids that were lost during exercise.
- Get moving– It’s common belief that moving about can add up to the exhaustion. Interestingly, the opposite is true as exercise is a natural energy booster. Something as simple as walking for 10 minutes can restore your energy levels for 2 hours.
- Reduce Stress– Stress is one of the biggest causes for drop in energy. It is a result of anxiety, and burns up a lot of our energy with zero returns. Introduce some relaxing activities into your day to counter this energy killer.
- Laughter therapy– While we don’t suggest you make a fool of yourself by laughing all day long, it does boost your energy and stamina. Laughing increases your heart rate and can pump you up when you’re feeling lazy. The best part? It doesn’t cost a penny!