Ever felt that internal burning sensation near your lower chest area? Here’s hoping you don’t confuse heartburn and heartache. They’re both vastly different, and while there is cure for the former, there usually isn’t any for the latter.
Team FitNut brings you some natural remedies for instant relief from acidity and its symptoms:
- Water: This is the simplest of the lot. Drinking water can help maintain the level of acid in the stomach by flushing out excess acid. Further, coconut water (naariyal paani) is also helpful in restoring normal acid secretion in the stomach.
- Cold milk: Milk contains calcium that can help prevent acid build up in the stomach. Moreover, the cooling effect of cold milk will help provide relief from the burning sensation caused by acidity. Opt for low-fat or skimmed milk to reap maximum benefits.
- Chewing gum: Studies have shown that chewing gum can help get relief from acidity and heartburn. Chewing gum stimulates the production of saliva. As such, any acid that is built up in the food pipe is washed down hence providing relief from the burning sensation.
- Cucumber (Kheera): Eating cucumber can help fight acidity. The cooling effect of cucumber can also get you relief from heartburn. Also, you can mix cucumber with yogurt to make raita to fight acidity.
- Mint (Pudina) leaves: Mint leaves can be used in multiple ways to keep acidity at bay. You can chew a few leaves or boil them in water and consume the water to get relief from acidity. Also, just like cucumber, you can add these to yogurt to make raita.
- Basil (Tulsi) leaves: Chewing 4 to 5 basil leaves after a meal can help prevent acidity and heartburn as basil prevents formation of excess acid in the stomach. Alternatively, boil 4 to 5 basil leaves with a cup of water for about 15 minutes. Remove the leaves and drink the water.
- Cloves (Laung): Cloves are another effective way to fight acidity. Just sucking on or chewing 1 to 2 pieces of cloves could help you get relief from it. You can also prepare certain dishes using cloves as one of the ingredients.
And as we keep insisting, developing healthy habits such as regular exercise, eating slowly, eating your last meal at least 2 hours before bedtime and not lying down right after a meal can help avoid acidity and associated symptoms.